In my post yesterday I talked about how 2016 is coming to a close at lightning fast speed. But my guess is you might still be struggling with things that happened in 2015, 2014 or several years before that. Regrets from those years will not let you mark those years as complete.
[Tweet “Regrets from previous years will not let you check those years as complete.”]
Regrets have a way of holding you back that almost nothing else does. You could probably find the time, money, and energy to start that non-profit that is so desperately needed. Or you could get laser-like focused on pursuing God’s calling on your life. You might even get you and your family on the spiritual track you know everyone needs to be on.
But you can’t because you can’t get your mind out those chains of regret. Regret is a weapon that our enemy uses to keep us from moving forward into the calling that God has for us.
[Tweet “Regret is a weapon that our enemy uses to keep us from moving forward into the calling that God has for us.”]
This is why acknowledging your regrets and learning how to defeat them is important.
The second 6 insane things about regrets and how to get past them
- Regret will always make you think you could have done more. You need to give it your all while you can so you can look back and say like Paul that you fought, finished, and stayed faithful.
- 2 Timothy 4:7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.[spacer height=”20px”]
- Regrets have a way of making you feel like it’s the end of the world. But don’t forget that there is a new day coming and our heavenly father is compassionate and faithful even when we are not.
- Lamentations 3:23They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.[spacer height=”20px”]
- So many times regret comes from a feeling of dissatisfaction. Showing gratitude in all things will keep you focused on God and His will not your past failures.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:18 Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.[spacer height=”20px”]
- When you look through an earthly worldview it can seem that you haven’t accomplished much. That isn’t whose opinion matters. It’s your heavenly father’s approval you want and you have it through Jesus Christ.
- Colossians 3:2 Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.[spacer height=”20px”]
- Regrets are normally difficult to process because you try to carry it on by yourself. You are not your savior. Jesus is your savior. Tell your soul to wait on Him. You will feel the weight come right off your shoulders.
- Psalm 33:20-22 Our soul waits for the Lord; he is our help and our shield. For our heart is glad in him, because we trust in his holy name. Let your steadfast love, O Lord, be upon us, even as we hope in you.[spacer height=”20px”]
- Your enemy wants to keep your focus on what could-have-should-have-been. The way to have victory is to seek God in every situation through prayer with a thankful heart because what is impossible with man is possible with God.
- Philippians 4:6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.[spacer height=”20px”]
Failures and regrets don’t define who you are. Jesus does
[Tweet “Failures and regrets don’t define who you are. Jesus does”]
Don’t let regrets keep you from living in the identity God has given you – Child of God – Joint heirs with Christ Jesus – Forgiven – New Creation – Chosen – Loved and Accepted.
[Tweet “Don’t let regrets keep you from living in the identity God has given you – Child of God – Joint heirs with Christ Jesus – Forgiven – New Creation – Chosen – Loved and Accepted”]
Today is the day to kick regret in the butt and start 2017 in the victory and power available to you through Jesus Christ.
[Tweet “kick regret in the butt and start 2017 in the victory and power available to you through Jesus Christ.”]