Can you remember any of the lessons someone taught you in Sunday School?
Can you remember any someone taught you about Jesus?
Whether your teachers meant to portray Jesus in certain ways or not, I am not sure.
But somehow you may have come to believe certain things about Jesus that are not true.
3 lies you might believe about Jesus.
- Jesus was not weak
- Jesus knew what His mission on earth was. He knew and didn’t back down. Jesus was not weak. He was a brave man who boldly faced abandonment, torture, ridicule, and death.
- Luke 9:22 saying, “The Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and on the third day be raised.”
[Tweet “Jesus was not weak – Luke 9:22”]
- Jesus was not Safe
- Just being around Jesus was a risk. There were people who wanted Jesus dead and to be with Him made you an accomplice by association.
- Matthew 10:22 “and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved”.
[Tweet “Jesus was not Safe – Matthew 10:22”]
- Jesus loved not condoned
- The perfect example is in the last words He tells the woman He just rescued from the men trying to kill her because she had been caught in sexual sin. John 8:11 “And Jesus said, “Neither do I condemn you; go, and from now on sin no more.”
- So Jesus loved her and rescued her, but He did not condone her sin.
[Tweet “Jesus loved not condoned – John 8:11”]
Living with the truth
The Jesus I mentioned above is still the same Jesus we follow today. He hasn’t changed.
It is important to know what you believe about Jesus because your viewpoint about Him will determine how you live.
- If you believe He was weak, then you won’t be able to mimic His boldness.
- If you believe He was safe, then you will struggle when you Christian life gets dangerous because you thought Jesus was supposed to protect you from everything.
- If you believe that Jesus loves and condones your sin, then you won’t think it is necessary to fight the battle against sin will that will continue until you get to heaven